All about dental implants
One of the latest options for people with serious tooth disorders, offered by Dentist in Karachi, is dental implants. Even though this treatment is more than 50 years old, only 6 percent of Americans have dental implants, according to recent data. However, this percentage is expected to rise to 23 percent in another four years. Read on to know more about dental implants:
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are artificial structures inserted in the jawbone of a person missing one or more teeth. The dental surgeon implants an anchor for the crown (or artificial tooth) in the jawbone, and a device called an abutment connects the dental implant with the artificial tooth. Every individual has a personalized crown, matching the color of the remaining teeth to make it look natural.
According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, the procedure of dental implants is very safe provided it is performed by a professional dental surgeon. On average in the United States, 3 million people have dental implants, with rising annual numbers.
What are the types of dental implants?
There are two primary types of dental implants:
- Endosteal implants: these are the most common types of dental implants, whereby the dental surgeon puts the implant in the jawbone to hold one or more artificial teeth.
- Subperiosteal implants: this type of implant is chosen for people who have a smaller jawbone. In this type, the implant is fixed on top of the jawbone instead of inside the jawbone.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
In comparison to dentures, implants have the following advantages:
- Dental implants make talking easier with better enunciation, in comparison to dentures, whereby teeth can slip in the mouth leading to slurred speech.
- They feel and look more natural with a better smile and thus improve self-esteem of the patient.
- They have better chewing function and make eating easier in comparison to sliding dentures. Patient can, therefore, eat foods without pain.
- The success rate is higher for dental implants than dentures.
- Dental implants also have better durability than dentures. In fact, with proper care, they can even last a lifetime.
- They have a lower risk of cavities for the nearby normal teeth.
- They cause less sensitivity in the neighboring teeth
- Their maintenance is easier and they do not need to be taken out for cleaning every night.
- Dental implants are permanent and eliminate the need for using adhesive as with dentures.
What are the risks of dental implants?
It is unsafe for the following people to get dental implants:
- People with uncontrolled metabolic disease like diabetes and cancer
- People with acute illness
- People with soft tissue disease or infection
If these issues are resolved, the patient may undergo dental surgery for implants.
Dental surgeons may choose not to implant in the following individuals:
- People who smoke heavily
- Individuals with chronic disorders like HIV, diabetes, osteoporosis and AIDs
- People with history tooth grinding
- Individuals with psychiatric disorders
What are the complications of dental implants?
The following complications may occur with dental implants:
- Nerve damage: if the implant is too close to the nerve, it can damage it. Nerve damage can present with tingling sensation and numbness. Most often, the removal of the implant reverses the damage.
- Infection of the implant: a common complication of dental implants is infection, especially if the procedure is not performed under aseptic measures. To prevent this complication, the dental surgeon must use sterilized equipment, and the patient must follow all the post-operative instructions of the dentalcare provider.
Loose implant: another common complication of dental implant surgery is an implant that comes loose. Factors that contribute to this complication often include history of smoking, history of osteoporosis in the patient, and poor oral hygiene. In case of this complication, immediate help must be sought from your dental surgeon at Quaid-e-Azam International Hospital.